27.02.2021, 01:42 UTC+1

Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

• Anmelden
  • Registrieren

12.02.2021, 05:45

KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN can't boot from hard disk

KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN can't boot from hard disk
1. I downloaded knoppix _ v8.6.1-2019-10-14-en.iso from http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html website, and tried to start it with grub4dos or grub2, but failed.
The error message is:
Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,2)
Kernel Offset:disabled
end Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,2)

I unzipped knoppix _ v8.6.1-2019-10-14-en.iso to the root directory of e: disk, which is in NTFS partition format.
Grub4dos boot menu is as follows:menu.lst
title /boot/isolinux/linux64
find --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd --set-root /boot/isolinux/linux64
kernel /boot/isolinux/linux64 fromhd=/dev/sda2 tohd=/dev/sda2 lang=en apm=power-off nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
initrd /boot/isolinux/linux64

In the menu above, It can't boot even I get rid of fromhd=/dev/sda2 tohd=/dev/sda2. I'm sure the e: drive corresponds to /dev/sda2.

Excuse me, does KNOPPIX support starting after decompressing from NTFS partition? Besides, how should the menu be written? The above menu, I refer to e: \ \ boot E:\\boot\isolinux\isolinux.cfg
LABEL knoppix64
KERNEL linux64
APPEND lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1

2. In addition, I would like to ask whether the cheat code parameter passed by KNOPPIX to kernle supports UUID passing.
Can I use tohd=UUID=xxxxxxxx? instead of tohd=/dev/sda2?
I don't see any instructions or examples about the usage of UUID in knoppix-cheatcodes.txt
»liuzhaoyzz« hat folgende Datei angehängt:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »liuzhaoyzz« (12.02.2021, 06:07)

12.02.2021, 13:49

1. I downloaded knoppix _ v8.6.1-2019-10-14-en.iso from http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html website, and tried to start it with grub4dos or grub2, but failed.

it is build by default to start with the help of ISOLINUX from DVD and nothing else. It ist meant to be a Live-System just for demo.

I unzipped knoppix _ v8.6.1-2019-10-14-en.iso to the root directory of e: disk, which is in NTFS partition format.

unzipping is not correct. KNOPPIX constists of Image-Files that are and remains ziped for operation.
In case of copying those Files to a NTFS-Filesystem, the deafault BootSW (SYSLINUX) cannot be used, because this only works on FAT.
Furtheron, with the Use of Knoppix from NTFS, it cannot bbot (U)EFI-Mode anymore, because the FAT-Partition ist used as EFI SystemPartition as well as Partition to store the basic Knoppix (without additional Overlay-Partition).
Depending on the Operating System you are working with, the procedure is different, but it needs the transfer of the main parts from the folder KNOPPIX to the NTFS (so it is the easiest, to just copy the whole folder) plus installation of grub4dos.
This is not recommended in any way, specially not for beginners who do not know about what Knoppix is at all. It is and remains a live-system, also from NTFS.
The recommendet way is burning a DVD, verify it by checking the control-sum, let it boot and get an USB-Stick ready to take the Live-System by the means of running a script by klicking an icon from the desktop. Here everything can be done automatical (including Overlay-Partition).

for me, the following menu.lst ist working with KNOPPIX on NTFS und GRUB4DOS with German-Keyboard and some extra spezial colours:

Quellcode

setkey greater bar
setkey less backslash
setkey doublequote at
setkey ampersand caret
setkey slash ampersand
setkey parenleft asterisk
setkey parenright parenleft
setkey equal parenright
setkey question underscore
setkey backslash minus
setkey z y
setkey Z Y
setkey y z
setkey Y Z
setkey plus bracketright
setkey asterisk braceright
setkey semicolon less
setkey colon greater
setkey minus slash
setkey underscore question
setkey caret backquote
setkey quote equal
setkey backquote plus
setkey bracketleft semicolon
setkey braceleft colon
setkey bracketright quote
setkey braceright doublequote
setkey bar bracketleft
setkey at braceleft

color white/red black/light-gray
default 1
timeout 2

title knoppix
kernel /boot/syslinux/linux lang=de apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 no3d tz=Europe/Berlin
initrd /boot/syslinux/minirt.gz

title knoppix64
kernel /boot/syslinux/linux64 lang=de apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 no3d tz=Europe/Berlin

title memtest
kernel /boot/syslinux/memtest

title dos
kernel /boot/syslinux/memdisk
initrd=/boot/syslinux/balder.img

title failsafe
kernel /boot/syslinux/linux lang=de vga=normal atapicd nosound noapic nolapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 nonetwork nodhcp xmodule=vesa

13.02.2021, 14:13

it is build by default to start with the help of ISOLINUX from DVD and nothing else. It ist meant to be a Live-System just for demo.

unzipping is not correct. KNOPPIX constists of Image-Files that are and remains ziped for operation.
In case of copying those Files to a NTFS-Filesystem, the deafault BootSW (SYSLINUX) cannot be used, because this only works on FAT.
Furtheron, with the Use of Knoppix from NTFS, it cannot bbot (U)EFI-Mode anymore, because the FAT-Partition ist used as EFI SystemPartition as well as Partition to store the basic Knoppix (without additional Overlay-Partition).
Depending on the Operating System you are working with, the procedure is different, but it needs the transfer of the main parts from the folder KNOPPIX to the NTFS (so it is the easiest, to just copy the whole folder) plus installation of grub4dos.
This is not recommended in any way, specially not for beginners who do not know about what Knoppix is at all. It is and remains a live-system, also from NTFS.
The recommendet way is burning a DVD, verify it by checking the control-sum, let it boot and get an USB-Stick ready to take the Live-System by the means of running a script by klicking an icon from the desktop. Here everything can be done automatical (including Overlay-Partition).

for me, the following menu.lst ist working with KNOPPIX on NTFS und GRUB4DOS with German-Keyboard and some extra spezial colours:

Quellcode

setkey greater bar
setkey less backslash
setkey doublequote at
setkey ampersand caret
setkey slash ampersand
setkey parenleft asterisk
setkey parenright parenleft
setkey equal parenright
setkey question underscore
setkey backslash minus
setkey z y
setkey Z Y
setkey y z
setkey Y Z
setkey plus bracketright
setkey asterisk braceright
setkey semicolon less
setkey colon greater
setkey minus slash
setkey underscore question
setkey caret backquote
setkey quote equal
setkey backquote plus
setkey bracketleft semicolon
setkey braceleft colon
setkey bracketright quote
setkey braceright doublequote
setkey bar bracketleft
setkey at braceleft

color white/red black/light-gray
default 1
timeout 2

title knoppix
kernel /boot/syslinux/linux lang=de apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 no3d tz=Europe/Berlin

title knoppix64
kernel /boot/syslinux/linux64 lang=de apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 no3d tz=Europe/Berlin

title memtest
kernel /boot/syslinux/memtest

title dos
kernel /boot/syslinux/memdisk
initrd=/boot/syslinux/balder.img

title failsafe
kernel /boot/syslinux/linux lang=de vga=normal atapicd nosound noapic nolapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 nonetwork nodhcp xmodule=vesa

Thank you very much for your reply!
1. I don't want to use clone CD or Ultraliso to write USB flash drive. Ultraliso will destroy the data of USB flash drive. My mobile hard disk has a lot of data. I want to try to start KNOPPIX directly from local hard disk or mobile hard disk without formatting USB flash drive and mobile hard disk. I know that the liveCD version of KNOPPIX is for demo.
Oh, I made a mistake in the menu on the first floor. After initrd, it should be minirt.gz. I wrote linux64. Referring to your menu, I successfully started KNOPPIX on NTFS partition with grub4dos.
menu.lst
title /boot/isolinux/linux64
find --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd --set-root /boot/isolinux/linux64
kernel /boot/isolinux/linux64 lang=en apm=power-off nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

I unzipped KNOPPIX.ISO to NTFS partition with 7z, and tried to start the unzipped KNOPPIX with grub2_UEFI. It appears that UEFI_NTFS partition startup KNOPPIX is supported.
menuentry "/boot/isolinux/linux64" "/boot/isolinux/linux64" {
search --no-floppy --set --file $2
linux $2 lang=en apm=power-off nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}

However, I found that KNOPPIX _ v8.6.1-2019-10-14-en.iso must be decompressed to the root directory of the hard disk to successfully start KNOPPIX, otherwise it will fail. Does knoppix have a corresponding cheatcode that can be used to put KNOPPIX.ISO in other directories? For example, I want to put it in the Linux/KNOPPIX/ directory. Is a cheatcode like fromhd=/dev/sda2 tohd=/dev/sda2 valid? I tried many times, but failed. It appears that knoppix_dir can only be used for ISO startup.

2. In addition, I would like to ask whether the cheat code parameter passed by KNOPPIX to kernle supports UUID passing.
Can tohd=/dev/sda2 be in the form tohd=UUID=xxxxxxxx?
I don't see any instructions or examples about the usage of UUID in knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

### Configuration / Persistent image ###
knoppix nonetworkmanager Don't start network manager
knoppix toram Copy to RAM and run from there
knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1 Copy to Harddisk and run from there
knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1 Boot from previously copied CD-Image
knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/KNX.iso Access image, boot from ISO-Image. ***)
knoppix knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX Directory to search for on the CD.
knoppix knoppix_name=KNOPPIX Cloop-File to search for on the CD.

13.02.2021, 16:11

Can tohd=/dev/sda2 be in the form tohd=UUID=xxxxxxxx?

afaik: no. The UUID belongs not to a certain Partition, but to a certain Filesystem that resides on a partition. Knoppix will not handle that with cheatcodes.

I unzipped KNOPPIX.ISO to NTFS partition with 7z, and tried to start the unzipped KNOPPIX with grub2_UEFI.

I wanted that und testet several versions withot success. My knolledge of GRUB(2) is obviously not deep enough. I also believed, that GRUB2 could be settled on NTFS, but had no success with it. The same is for EFI-System-Partitions. In some documents I read, it must be a FAT-System, in others, I believed to see, that also NTFS could work. In fact, it never worked for me and I never found an example, where the EFI-SP was not on FAT.

I don't want to use clone CD or Ultraliso to write USB flash drive

You should not use those tools, even, when they could perhaps work.
KNOPPIX is not an installation DVD or a DVD-only System, as might be known from other systems.
Knoppix is different in that it offers a so called Overlay-Partition, that could take all the offset information to your live-System. The Overlay can be a Partition or a file and it will be created by running the KNOPPIX-Flash-Install script.
The Flash-Install is the way, Knoppix is thought to be used. It can put Knoppix (with or without Overlay) to any medium, plus creates the surunding boot-mechanics. But: it will first format the medium and thus destroy any data on it.
Although I realy recomennd you go and buy an new extra KNOPPIX stick and try this, just to see, what I mean. I am pretty sure, you also coul do a test within a VM like VirtualBox.
The Flash-Install-Script will keep KNOPPIX live, what means, it is still "zipped", still one image, that stays unchangeable.
There is also a second "install script", called somewhat like HD-install and there you get a kind of installation with "unzipped" KNOPPIX, no more unchangeable and nor more one compact image. This is not recommended an for special purpose only.
I do not know, what your tools did, but it is not necessary nor good to unpack the Knoppix-image and I do not believe, that this is, what the tools did. They probably have copied Knoppix.

Knoppix and its booting is really not easy and I am kind of lost any time I start thinking about it.
It is not just like starting any other system.
It can boot (U)EFI as well as Legacy and can boot a 32Bit Kernel as well as 64Bit and it can do that by using automatic procedures as well from DVD or from Stick (other media).
That is more, than other systems do. Well, if you know, what you do, you cann skip the one or other and use it in a more simple way, what you already did with placing it on a NTFS-File-System.
But, your boot-mechanic must know, what to do and afaik, there is no bootloader, that kann boot a system, that is stored somewhere in a NTFS-Directory structure. I am not sure with this, but you know, Knoppix does not run on NTFS, it boots from there, but into its own Filesystem.
I might as well have not understand, what exactly you want an mean.

Please, try "installing" Knoppix first in a way it is thought to be used. I am pretty sure, that helps understanding each other.

14.02.2021, 01:54

Thank you again for your reply, and thank you very much for your enthusiastic and detailed introduction and explanation!
1. Most linux distributions on DistroWatch support the function of locating the boot partition through uuid. I'm sorry to confirm from you that knoppix does not support using uuid to determine the boot partition. "Knoppix will not handle uuid cheatcodes."
2. for grub2_UEFI, the file grub2x64.efi should be placed on FAT32/ESP partition, but the knoppix.iso file booted by grub2x64.efi can be placed on NTFS partition.
3. I'm actually a windows user. I tried knoppix to experience it. I don't want to use the installation version, because it may damage my hard disk data. I still like the live version. As to the boot mode of the live version, I am not familiar with the booters like isolinux and syslinux, but I am familiar with grub4dos and grub2_UEFI. with the booters like grub4dos and grub2_UEFI, I can make knoppix boot from my local hard disk without damaging my hard disk partition, and I can boot it either by unlocking knoppix.iso or not.
Moreover, the reading and writing speed of the USB flash drive is unstable, so I don't like to start linux on the USB flash drive. I prefer to start linux directly from the local hard disk.

grub4dos-menu.lst-knoppix.iso

title /linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso-/mnt-iso/
find --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd --set-root /linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso
map /linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso (hd32)
map --hook
kernel (hd32)/boot/isolinux/linux64 bootfrom=/mnt-iso//linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso lang=en apm=power-off nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
initrd (hd32)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

grub2_uefi_knoppix.iso,\boot\grub2\grub.cfg,utf-8
menuentry "/linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso" "/linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso" {
set gfxpayload=keep
search --no-floppy --set --file $2
loopback loop $2
linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux64 bootfrom=/mnt-iso//linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso lang=en apm=power-off nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »liuzhaoyzz« (14.02.2021, 02:19)

14.02.2021, 14:00

2. for grub2_UEFI, the file grub2x64.efi should be placed on FAT32/ESP partition, but the knoppix.iso file booted by grub2x64.efi can be placed on NTFS partition.

Thank you for those explanation and examples.
That is "the problem", if I need to have an extra partition (FAT EFI-SP) at the beginning, it will be recognized by older Windows-Versions as the one and only valid partition. I do not really use Knoppix, as many users do. For me, my Stick is transport media for my data in first place and Knoppix is just an addon that could be used from time to time. Because I have sometimes files that are greater than the 4GB for FAT32, I also placed a Knoppix on NTFS with grub4dos as starter. That works for Legacy-mode booting, what exactly meeans, it is not working for many new PCs and not for Mac's at all. For me, the solution is to have Knoppix additionally on my NTFS-Stick, that is allways in my pocket, but to have at least one additional Stick with Knoppix on FAT for Mac's.

There is one point with booting Knoppix from DVD (or iso): you cannot change things.
There are two positions, where you would been able to change things.
One is in the surrounding of the Knoppix. You could influenze bootbehavior by means of editing the syslinux.conf file. For example get rid of the 3D behavior or such.
The other is the changing that takes place in the Overlay. It can store all your personal settings, your printer, your browser, your mail-client, what ever plus it can remember newly installed SW or even removed SW. I ever used Overlay-partition, so I am not familiar with overlay-file. But for the Partition, tehre is a textfile that explains, where it is and what filesystem is used.

For me, Knoppix as it comes, is very unhandy. I change it a lttle bit, so that it matches the behavior of my other systems, that I am using at home. All of that is stored in the Overlay-Partition. You cannot use the Overlay when booting knoppix from DVD or iso and thus, at least in my eyes, you lack a great part of flexibility that Knoppix can offer. To be honest: what could you learn from a system, that looses all your work after restart?

Well, it is to long away, when I did my last Knoppix on NTFS or FAT. And, as said before, it is not easy to remember the boot-process at all.
Thereis minirt.gz what basically contains a boot-script, but includes a whole operating system plus some more. You need this and you need to let it start through your boot-manager. It will start a little busybox and it needs to find the right kernel to run as a kind of pre-start operating-system, that than prepares the rest of the system, to start Knoppix, what means, mounting the compessed Knoppix-Image correct. I mean, that the links to the image are given in the script, but it is to lang gone to remember right. If so, it means, that the place is mandatory to store the minirt.gz and the Knoppix-image. You need to have this minirt.gz and the files linux and linux64 in /boot/syslinux (/boot/isolinux on DVD) at least, but I suggest you copie better the complete /boot from DVD to your destition (on a NTFS), plus you need at least /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ... /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX(n), what is the Knoppix-image, plus the file /KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.inf, but again, I suggest yo better just copy /KNOPPIX complete to your destination. Because there is no much left, you also could copie the content of the DVD complete.

For (U)EFI, there is a EFI section on a Knoppix-DVD and will be copied to FAT (weh running the flash-install script) and works here as ESP, but will do that only when it is placed on FAT.
With the use of syslinux, there is a pointer written in the MBR to start than syslinux and the rest according to the syslinux.cfg
In using grub4dos, that is basically the same, but with the use of a menu.lst instead of syslinux.cfg and menu.lst is on a different place and uses paths to the files for initrd and kernel. This path names can point to directories or even to a place on DVD or iso. grub4dos can accept NTFS, syslinux only FAT (ISOLINUX = SYSLINUX, just for DVD).
So I ever used grub4dos only on USB-Stick and had no need, to put Knoppix in a certain directory, but there is at least a chance that this would work also. But maybe not, if the links in the start-script are fixed and given (what I believe, but not really know).

The point is, how to define the Overlay.
In my case, I use a partition and it is described for Knoppix in the file /KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.inf and my looks like:

Quellcode

2 /KNOPPIX-DATA ext2
what I found to represent partition number (2, second partition), mountpoint (/KNOPPIX-DATA) and filesystem (ext2fs). In case of passwort-protected overlay-partition, there is a hint here too. I never used a file for overlay, but I am sure, in the one or other way, it should be listed here also. Maybe, you can find information regarding this issue (maybe in trying an flash-installation with overlay-file and see what it does). This could spread the use of your Knoppix extremly.
You see, why you cannot use Overlay from DVD or iso? Just because you cannot edit this file and explain, where the overlay is to find.

14.02.2021, 14:45

I studied the init script in minirt.gz and found that uuid can be determined by passing the root parameter to the kernel. In this case, you don't need to put the uncompressed KNOPPIX in the root directory, just place it at will.

# Directory where all Knoppix files are located (except for kernel and initrd)
# This way, you can have multiple Knoppix versions on the same media, and
# specify which one to load by "knoppix knoppix_dir=directory"
[ -n "$knoppix_dir" ] || knoppix_dir="KNOPPIX"
[ -z "$root" -a -n "$fromhd" ] && root="$fromhd"

Menu example:
BIOS-grub4dos-menu.lst-knoppix.iso

title /linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN/boot/isolinux/linux64
find --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd --set-root /linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN/boot/isolinux/linux64 ;; uuid () ;; echo %?_UUID%
kernel /linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN/boot/isolinux/linux64 root=UUID=%?_UUID% knoppix_dir=/linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN/KNOPPIX lang=en apm=power-off nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
initrd /linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

UEFI-grub2_uefi_knoppix.iso,\boot\grub2\grub.cfg,utf-8
menuentry "/linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN/boot/isolinux/linux64" "/linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN/boot/isolinux/linux64" {
search --no-floppy --set --file $2;probe -u ($root) -s uuid;echo $uuid
linux $2 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/$uuid knoppix_dir=/linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN/KNOPPIX lang=en apm=power-off nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
initrd /linux/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »liuzhaoyzz« (14.02.2021, 15:11)

14.02.2021, 18:39

Hallo. Ich kann zwar Englisch lesen aber nicht schreiben.
Mir ist dieses Bild nach Text 2. aufgefallen. Das hatte ich vielleicht zwei mal auf meinem HP Laptop Win10 gesehen.
Das UEFI CMOS ist jetzt gelöscht.
Can I use tohd=UUID=xxxxxxxx? instead of tohd=/dev/sda2?

vielleicht startet der Rechner noch mit F2, F10 oder F11

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »ubuntuli« (14.02.2021, 19:05)

14.02.2021, 21:21

Der Kernel [2.492531] kann nicht gelesen werden oder wird nicht erkannt.

15.02.2021, 01:17

I have found a solution to my problem.

15.02.2021, 02:00

o.k.

Linux HardwareLinux Computer & PCs | Linux Notebooks & Laptops | Geek Shirts | Geek und Nerd Shirt Shop